Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am employed as a sales/designer for a kitchen store. I am

Customer Question
compensated in commissions on what...
I am employed as a sales/designer for a kitchen store. I am compensated in commissions on what I sell. I invest 12 to 20 hours, sometimes more, of work before the customer makes a decision to buy. This time is lost when the customer goes elsewhere, or decides not to sign a contract and buy from us.
Would I be better off working as a contractor and filing a 1099? Is my time considered a loss? Any advice you may have ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
11/3/2009
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 8 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant

Hello daisy,

No, you would not be better off working as a contractor, unless of course they paid you a much higher commission rate.

Working as a contractor does not mean that you can write off the value of your time as an expense. You would still end up paying taxes on the same amount of income, and would also have to pay the full share of SS and Medicare taxes as an IC. So this would not be to your advantage unless they paid you a much higher commission rate to cover those additional taxes that you would owe.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button.

Thank you daisy

We are required to go to and from customer's homes, using my own car. The company does not reemburse us.
Is this gas and wear and tear recoverable as a W2 employee?

Hello again daisy,

Yes, you may claim a deduction for personal use of your vehicle or any other business expense you may have which is not reimbrused by your employer.

If you use your car for business and you are not reimbursed by your employer, you may claim a deduction for the use of your vehicle either in the form of a mileage allowance based on business miles driven, or you may claim a percentage of your actual expenses paid, based on the percentage of time you use your car for business.

These expenses are claimed on Form 2106 and become part of your itemized deductions.

Thank you daisy

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant