How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anne Your Own Question
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2430
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Anne is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need advise on who should I contact to get help with filing

Resolved Question:

I need advise on who should I contact to get help with filing my back taxes. I have been notified by IRS. I can't afford an attorney. I don't know who to call for help and don't charge an arm or leg. Please can you refer me to someone who is reasonable and where I can make monthly payments. I owe both the federal and state taxes. Approximately over $10,000. Please help me!!!
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Anne replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomerbr />
Thank you for using justanswer. If you do not dispute what the IRS says you owe, then you're better off setting up a payment plan with them. You would do this by filing Form 9465 (Rev. December 2008Installment Agreement Request there is a 1x fee of up to $105 for setting this up.

If you aren't sure if you owe the IRS what they billed you for because you haven't yet completed your tax returns, then you can either fill out the forms yours (all forms are available at "") or you may hire a professional tax preparation company to help you. If you are afraid that you don't have all of the information needed to file the back tax returns, you may get all of the income and payments submitted to the IRS under your SS# XXXXX filing Form 4506-T (Rev. January 2008) Request for Transcript of Tax Return. This is free from the IRS, and you'll want to be sure to mark the boxes 6a,b,&c.

Edited by Anne on 11/3/2009 at 7:25 PM EST
Expert:  Anne replied 7 years ago.
I'm sorry...this answer is not complete yet. (new laptop) please let me complete it for you.
Expert:  Anne replied 7 years ago.
In order to find the best professional tax preparation company that is best for you & your situation is worth a few phone calls to the places in your area. Find out when/how they expect payment, have they handled situations like yours before where IRS has sent notices, and what/how they charge. Like any profession, there are good and bad professional tax preparation places, so there's really no substitute for making that first "screening" phone call.

Once you find out how much you owe (if that is the case, and I'm assuming it is, since you received a notice from the IRS) then you can make a decision on how you're going to pay them, or if you think you might qualify for an "Offer in Compromise" See below:

What You Must Know Before You File an Offer in Compromise

First though, you need to get the tax returns completed to find out the raw tax (without penalty/interest) that you owe, and then go from there.

I hope this helps, and again, I apologize for not having a complete answer the first time around.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I am looking for someone who can help me with settling with the IRS. I do not want to deal with this myself. Please direct me to someone who can help me and deal with the IRS. I have my taxes already filed and sent to the IRS.

Expert:  Anne replied 7 years ago. don't mention specifically where you are, but your best bet is to find an Enrolled Agent near you. Enrolled Agents can represent you in front of the IRS and speak on your behalf. Please see link below to find an Enrolled Agent near you:

On the left side of the page is a link to find an Enrolled Agent by zip code/area.

You are free of course, to work with the agencies you already named, but please keep in mind that they are basically just brokering a "Offer in Compromise" with you & the IRS. and most charge quite a bit for this service. Please be sure to check any company you are considering using with your local BBB.

Many professional tax preparation practices have EA's working for them. (H&R Block has jumped on that bandwagon, and there are many more that have followed suit) You might find that these places will broker an "Offer in Compromise" at a much lower rate than those companies whose sole source of income is from this type of service.

Again, a quick check with your local BBB should help "weed out" some of the contenders.

I wish you the best of luck.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Can you give me the names of others like H&R Block who has jumped on the bandwagon so I may also contact them. I am in Portland, Oregon 97203.

Expert:  Anne replied 7 years ago.
Unfortunately, I'm in MI and I don't know who is in your area, but if you use the search engine I gave you earlier, it does list almost 2 pages of Enrolled Agents in your area. Here's the link again:

Look on the left hand side under the brown heading "For Taxpayers"/Find an Enrolled Agent, then you'll be able to put in your zip code or city, state.

If you want to go with a large tax preparation firm, such as H&R Block for example, just call any of them in the phone book (if they offer this service then they'll have year round numbers...I work for H&R Block and we have at least 1 office in the district open year round for just this purpose) Be sure to ask if they have any Enrolled Agents that have expierence with Offers in Compromise, what they charge for this service, and be sure to check anyone out at your local BBB first.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX the best.

I hope this helps.
Anne and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you