How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how can i retreive my 2008 tax report to apply for the property

Resolved Question:

how can i retreive my 2008 tax report to apply for the property purhase i made in February 2009
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Hello format,


What exactly are you referring to when you say "tax report" for 2008?


Are you needing an actual copy of your tax return from last year?



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my report is federal 2008, form 1040. I need copy to amend report for property purchase credit
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Hello again format,


If you used a tax preparer on line to file your 2008 taxes such as Turbo Tax or Tax Act, you can simply sign back in to your account on their website and print out a copy of your 2008 return. That will be the fastest and simplest way for you to get a copy of your return from last year.


Otherwise, in order to get a copy from the IRS, you need to complete Form 4506 and send it to the IRS along with a $57 fee, and it can take up to 60 days to receive the copy.


Your other choice is to order a tax transcript from the IRS. A tax transcript is not an actual copy of your return, but it would be a computerized printout which would show the line by line entries you made on your 2008 return. This information should be sufficient for your purposes in filing an amended return to claim the home buyers credit. You can order a tax transcript by calling the IRAS at(NNN) NNN-NNNN Tax transcripts generally take around 10 days to receive, although in some cases they can be faxed to you within 24 hours.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.


Thank you format



Merlo and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you