Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Are New York State retirement benefits taxed in North Caro

lina?...
Are New York State retirement benefits taxed in North Caro lina?
11/3/2009
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
HelloCustomer

Although your benefits from your NY State Teachers Retirement System are not taxable in the state of NY, if you become a resident of another state, those benefits are taxable under those state rules. Please refer to the following website covering NY teacher retirement benefits under the section entitled "Taxes on Your Benefits" -- the very last paragraph of that section.

http://www.nystrs.org/main/library/hbretd_main.html#Taxes

In the state of North Carolina, if you are receiving retirement benefits from another state as a teacher, you may exclude $4,000 from your benefits from being taxable in the state of NC, but the rest of your benefits are subject to NC state tax. This issue is discussed in the second paragraph of the following NC document.

http://www.dornc.com/taxes/individual/retirement.html

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank youCustomerbr />

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant