Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

How to get reinstate as 501(c)3 Classification, lost in 2000-2002

due to no filing....
How to get reinstate as 501(c)3 Classification, lost in 2000-2002 due to no filing.
11/3/2009
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
HelloCustomer
You stated that you tried the irs.gov site first. You may have missed this information on how to be reinstated as a 501(c)3; "Can an organization have its tax-exempt status reinstated if it was revoked for failing to file for three consecutive years?

Yes, but you must apply (or reapply) and pay the appropriate user fee to have your tax-exempt status reinstated if it was revoked because you failed to file for three consecutive years. An exemption application is required even if your organization was not originally required to file an application. Reinstatement of tax-exempt status may be retroactive if you can show that you had reasonable cause for not filing. To apply for tax-exempt status, use Form 1023, Application for Recognition of Exemption, (if you are a section 501(c)(3) public charity) or Form 1024, Application for Exemption under Section 501(a) (for other types of tax-exempt organizations)."

The reinstatement of the organization is dependent on the IRS.

I hope this information is helpful,

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Will you send me acopy in e-mail?
Hello again,
I am afraid that the only avenue of contact I have open to me to contact you (for your privacy and protection) is this forum.
If you use this url you can access the information directly and click on the links on the IRS page to get the needed form;
http://www.irs.gov/charities/article/0,,id=177802,00.html
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4