How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My W-4 for 2009 is Married with 1 detuction. How does payroll

Customer Question

My W-4 for 2009 is Married with 1 detuction. How does payroll determine the amount of federal tax to withhold? Is there a table I can go to or is it a percentage of the wages for that pay period?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
Hello TTrue,

There is a set percentage of tax which will be withheld based on the filing status you choose and the number of personal allowances you claim.

I am giving you a link to the 2009 withholding tables. Find the table for Married taxpayers and the table which represents how you are paid (weekly, monthly, etc). You can then see from that table how much will be withheld from your check based on the filing status and number of exemptions you are claiming.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank youCustomerbr />