How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Last year I made contributions but took the standard deduction

This answer was rated:

Last year I made contributions but took the standard deduction so nothing was deducted for contributions.

Will I be able to carry over the 2008 contributions in 2009 - this year I will itemize. I think I can't but it sure doesn't hurt to try.

You are correct in your analysis of the limit on contributions in any one year, and the 5 year carry forward rule.

However, you are only allowed to carry forward contributions which were limited due to your AGI. Contributions which you made but did not deduct because you instead claimed the standard deduction cannot be carried forward for use in a future tax year.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank youCustomerbr />
Merlo and 4 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you