How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This is a direct quote from a company (Long Windows)who has

Resolved Question:

This is a direct quote from a company (Long Windows)who has included this in the advertisements mailed to each household , and by the way, there are others who do the same.
"You Can Now Receive A $1500.00 Tax Credit from the Federal Government!"
Simply by Replacing Your Existing Windows with the Most Energy-Efficient Window on the Market: (LONG WINDOS), etc.
Last year (2008), I purchased energy-efficient windows, but not from this company. My question to you is: 1. Is this advertisement legitimate? If not, how can they be stopped from this kind of false advertisement? However, if there is any truth to this, may I add an addendum to the taxes that I have already filed for year 2008, if so, is there a special form that I should use (please include the form number)?Also, and please indicate on which line of the tax form I should indicate the price that I have paid for my windows.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Their advertisement is not false or misleading in any way. Tax credits are available from the federal government up to a maximum of $1,500 for certain energy improvements, including windows. This credit is available to taxpayers who make these improvements in the years 2009 or 2010.

Unfortunately this credit was not effective in 2008 when you replaced your windows, so you would not qualify for the credit which is currently being offered. The energy improvements which qualify for this credit must be made during the 2009 or 2010 tax years.

It is unfortunate that you already replaced your windows prior to this credit being enacted, but there is just no way to know ahead of time if or when credits of this type will be made available.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button.

Thank youCustomerand let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help you with whatever I can.

Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you