How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29643
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am disabled and have been receiving disability income from

Resolved Question:

I am disabled and have been receiving disability income from both SSDI and a private insurance carrier since 1998. In 2009 my private carrier discovered they had underpaid my benefit by about $8000 per year since 2002 (1/2 of which is taxable). I received a lump sum retroactive payment in 2009 of $56,000. Can I file amended returns for the prior years to minimize the tax impact of such a large payment in 2009?
Thank you.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

Unfortunately - your income is taxable in the year it is received and should be reported on your 2009 tax return.

You may not report disability income received in 2009 on previous year tax returns.


As a side effect - 85% of your SS disability benefits will be taxable.

Because your additional tax liability is based on your private insurance carrier mistake - I might suggest to contact them and ask to compensate your additional tax liability.


Let me know if you need any help.


Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you