Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

my company bought a home for $165,000.00, we spent $120,000.00

Customer Question
to convert it to an...
my company bought a home for $165,000.00, we spent $120,000.00 to convert it to an office. If we sold it for $600,000.00 after 10 ten years what would we have to pay in capital gains?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
11/1/2009
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 8 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Hello grandhope,

Do you know how much depreciation you have claimed total during the 10 years you have owned it and used it as an office building?

No.
Hello again grandhope,

You would need the depreciation numbers in order to determine your taxable gain.

The formula to figure your taxable gain is:

Selling price of $600,000
Less Your basis (original cost plus cost of improvements) = $285,000
PLUS the depreciation you claimed for the last 10 years.

Commecial property is depreciated over a period of 39 years. If your basis was $285,000, then your depreciation each year should have been roughly $7,300. So for 10 years you would have claimed $73,000 in depreciation. I will use that figure for the purposes of calculating what your gain will likely be.

Selling price of $600,000 less basis of $285,000 = $315,000. Add back in your depreciation of $73,000 and you have a gain of $388,000.

On the gain of $388,000 -- The $73,000 which is attributed to the recapture of depreciation is taxed at a 25% ($18,250) and the remaining gain is taxed as a long term capital gain at a rate of 15% ($315,000 @15%) = $47,250.

Your total tax on the gain from the sale will be approximately $65,500.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you grandhope

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant