How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my husband and I are having a disagreement about his earnings

Resolved Question:

my husband and I are having a disagreement about his earnings anf w-2 for 2009. If he worked a few days in late december of 2008 but wasn't paid until 2009 doesn't the pay for those days show up on his 2009 w-2 to be reported as 2009 income even though he worked in 2008???
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Yes, that is correct.

Individual taxpayers report their income on a cash basis -- meaning that you report your income in the year it is actually received, even if that pay happened to cover some days from a prior year. The pay he received in 2009 for days he worked in Dec. 2008 will be reported on his 2009 W-2 form.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank youCustomerbr />
Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you