Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Hawaii General Excise Tax

Customer Question
This is about General Excise...

This is about General Excise Tax in Hawaii. How far back in years can the GE Tax office audit me?

Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
11/1/2009
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 8 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant

Generally, the state has 3 years from the due date of the return to initiate an audit. However, where a person has "substantially omitted" an item on a return, the statute is extended to six years. Substantially omitted means a difference of 25% or more in the actual amount versus the amount reported.

In the case where a return has never been filed at all for a particular year, then no statute of limitations applies.

http://www.state.hi.us/tax/aud_guide/aud09-02.pdf

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant