How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29558
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi. I received a tax warrant from the Kansas Department of

Resolved Question:

Hi. I received a tax warrant from the Kansas Department of Revenue today. The person who filed my taxes helped me to set up a payment arrangement to pay taxes owed. I was under the impression it was for ALL taxes due. I found out today, those arrangements were for FEDERAL TAXES only. Is it now too late for me to make arrangements for the state taxes?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

It is never late to establish a payment play with the Kansas DOR.

However - that will not affect the tax warrant issued - the State of Kansas Department of revenue issues a tax warrant to levy on the property if the person failed to pay state income taxes.

In some cases where the pay plan exceeds six months, a tax warrant will be filed with the District Court to protect the State's interest. A tax warrant will also be filed if the Statute of Limitations is due to expire during the term of the payment plan.


If you do not have any agreement (like an installment payment plan or any other agreement) in place - they will act to collect the money - start a garnishment of you wages and put a levy on your bank account. If that happens - you should be notified - funds will be frozen for a specific period (normally 30 days) - so you may get into the agreement and have funds released.


Generally - you need to negotiate installment payment plan if you can't pay in full.

If you will be granted a payment plan and will be current - that will protect you from garnishment.

All information about requesting a payment plan might be found here -

If you have any issues - I suggest to contact Taxpayer Advocate - Bob Clelland [email protected] to resolve tax issues or answer questions.
Contact Civil Tax Enforcement at(NNN) NNN-NNNNfor the current pay-off amount.


Let me know if you need any help.


Customer: replied 7 years ago.


At this point, is this already a "lien" that is reported on my credit report ...

and if I set up a plan that does NOT exceed 6 months, will I avoid a tax lien on my credit report? Or am I too late for that? I owe $1,969.02. If it's already on my report, I'll set up smaller monthly payments ... if I can avoid a credit blemish by paying faster, I will HOPEFULLY figure out a way to do so.

Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

If the tax lien has been reported on your credit report - it will be reported as paid after your tax debt is fully paid.

You may try to negotiate with the Kansas DOR to remove the lien from the report - but I am not sue if they agree.


If the tax lien was not reported yet - and you will pay off quick - you might be able to avoid reporting.

If it has been already reported - it may not be easily removed.


Lev and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so much! I feel a lot more relaxed about making this call in the morning. I was a nervous wreck... but at least now I have a better idea of what I'm facing. Have a great evening.