How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks Your Own Que...
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks, Master Tax Advisor, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1257
Experience:  I am a Master Tax Advisor and Enrolled Agent. I have 40 years experience. Trucking specialist.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have failed to meet my deadline date for filing taxes on

This answer was rated:

I have failed to meet my deadline date for filing taxes on the extension date of October 15, 2009 for 2008 taxes. I do not owe any taxes and should have a refund coming. My wife has been very ill and I have procrastinated on filing. What do I do? I still need to complete my forms

You should file the return as soon as possible. Since you have a refund, IRS is not likely to impose the late filing penalty. Your refund will be forfeited if you do not file and claim it within 3 years of the original due date.


IRS can possibly hold your 2009 refund if you do not file. This is due to the fact that IRS shows income with a reduction for single filing status and 1 exemption until you file the return and give them your other facts. This is not likely, but has been suggested to IRS to generate more income for IRS and to encourage compliance from taxpayers.

Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you