How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks Your Own Que...
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks, Master Tax Advisor, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1257
Experience:  I am a Master Tax Advisor and Enrolled Agent. I have 40 years experience. Trucking specialist.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have recently been informed that my claim for disability

Resolved Question:

I have recently been informed that my claim for disability under Social Security has been approved. My question is if you are disabled is your
social security taxable. I have been drawing social security since I retired
at age 62 - however will get more since I am disabled. Also - since the records now reflect that I have been disabled since March 07 if social security
disability is not taxed can I do revised tax reports for 2007 & 2008?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks replied 7 years ago.

Your early retirement ss benefits will be treated just like your disability benefits.


Your regular income plus 50% of your ss benefits (early retirement OR disability) will determine if any or none of your ss is taxable. You may reduce the total by 25000 (32000 if married filing jointly ) if you are single. The amount is -0- if you use Married Filing Seperate filing status. This worksheet and the following worksheets will help you compute any taxable portion.


You may wish to review amending your 2007 and 2008 returns to see if benefits paid to you in 2009 for the prior years will be better taxed in those years or remain on your 2009 return.


Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you