Ask Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks Your Own Que...
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks, Master Tax Advisor, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  I am a Master Tax Advisor and Enrolled Agent. I have 40 years experience. Trucking specialist.
4804

I live in NYS but will work in CT. Will my bi-weekly paychecks

Customer Question

I live in NYS but will work in CT. Will my bi-weekly paychecks be double taxed? If so will NYS tax me less then if i worked in NYS?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks replied 7 years ago.
Your paychecks should have CT tax withheld. You will do a nonresident return for CT and a resident return for NYS. You will be allowed a credit on your NYS return for the tax paid to CT. This will help to end what looks like double taxed income for you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok so in my check i will have Both NY and CT tax witheld?? but i will get a refund at the end of the year?

You should not have NY tax withheld if you are actually working in CT. Some businesses have an option where you can elect to have tax withheld for your residence state, but this is not common.

In most cases you will have a refund from your work state and a balance due with your residence state. This will depend on total income in CT and tax withheld as well as your exemptions, etc. Generally if you use single filing status and no more than 1 exemption on your state w-4 you should be entitled to a small refund from CT.