Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My husband has received a Fulbright award to teach in Cairo,

Customer Question
Egypt. He will be...
My husband has received a Fulbright award to teach in Cairo, Egypt. He will be there from September 11, 2009 to June 4, 2010. He is paid mainly in US Dollar and a little in Egyption Pound. He has been given an appartment with no rent. My question is:

1. Do we have to pay taxes for his $ and Egption pounds compensation
2. What expenses is he allowed to deduct (tax purposes) and what receipts should he keep?
3. Is there any tax benefit for him to be out of the U.S. for 6 full calander months
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
10/3/2009
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 8 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

As US a person - your husband are required to report all income worldwide on his (or your joint) tax return.

The value of apartment is generally considered part of his compensation and should be included into taxable income.

His tax liability would be different if he was an employee or a self-employed contractor.

As an US citizen living abroad - you may claim a foreign earned income exclusion.

The person may qualify for the foreign earned income exclusion - he/she should:
-- Work and reside outside the United States for at least 330 days during the year, or
-- Meet either the Bona Fide or Physical Presence tests.
If the person qualifies, he/she may exclude up to $91,400 (2009 in foreign wages -- plus housing allowances (limited to 30% of the earned income exclusion).

To receive that exclusion - the taxpayer should file either form 2555 or 2555EZ.

Here are forms you likely need:

Please be aware that - the exclusion above will not affect self-employment taxes - only income taxes. Only earned income is excludable. For instance dividends, investment income, etc - are not excludable.

If the same income is taxable in Australia and in US - on your US tax return - you may claim a credit for taxes paid abroad - that is besides tax treaty - so you will avoid double taxation.

To determine the amount of credit - you should use the form 1116 and attach it to your tax return. - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1116.pdf

Here are instructions - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1116.pdf

As your husband was outside the US for six months - he would not qualify for a foreign earned income exclusion.

However - he does qualify to deduct travel expenses - including per diem - http://aoprals.state.gov/web920/per_diem_action.asp?MenuHide=1&CountryCode=1154

Let me know if you need any help.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor