Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My brother and I inherited a promissory note when our father

Customer Question
died. My Uncle wants...
My brother and I inherited a promissory note when our father died. My Uncle wants to settle with us. The note was written for $25,000 in May 1975 @ 6% interest per annum.

He wants to settle by paying each of us $40,000.

Would there be taxes due on the $40,000? If so, how much?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
10/3/2009
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 8 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

All income the decedent would have received had death not occurred that was not properly includible on the final return, is income in respect of a decedent.

Income in respect of a decedent must be included in the income of one of the following:

• The decedent's estate, if the estate receives it;

• The beneficiary, if the right to income is passed directly to the beneficiary and the beneficiary receives it; or

• Any person to whom the estate properly distributes the right to receive it.

So far - most likely all income above the original amount of $25,000 - would be taxable income for you and should be reported as interest income.

So - your total taxable interest would be $80,000 - $25,000 = $55,000

Let me know if you need any help.

What would be the tax rate on the $55,000?

The tax rate would really depends on your other taxable income - as the tax liability is determined based on the total income.

Please provide your total income, filing status, dependents, deductions, etc - and I will estimate your tax liability.

Please also provide your state to determine if there would be an additional state income tax liability.

The settlement is between my brother and myself. $40,000 each. So would that be $40,000 - $12,500 = $27,500 - the $27,500 being the taxable amount?

We both live in Florida.

I file Head of Household - one dependent. Income approximately $52,000. Student loan interest is really my only deduction - about $3000.

My brother - files married jointly - one dependent. Income?? approximately: $60,000 between the two of them (I'm guessing!)

If both - you and your brother inherited a note in equal shares - each will be responsible for own share of income tax.

assuming you are HOH with one dependent and $52,000 gross income, standard deduction - your estimated tax liability would be $4,855

With additional $27,500 in interest income - your estimated tax liability would be $10,815.

So your additional tax liability are estimated as $5960.

Your taxable income $52,000 - $8,350(standard deduction) - $7,300 (personal exemptions) = 36,350 - that keeps you in 15% tax bracket (up to $45,500 in 2009)

So additional income pushes you into 25% tax bracket.

If you would receive the settlement partly in 2009 and partly in 2010 - you might have some tax saving.

For your brother - married filing jointly, with one dependent and $60,000 gross income, standard deduction - his estimated tax liability would be $4,813.

With additional $27,500 in interest income - his estimated tax liability would be $8,863.

So his additional tax liability are estimated as $4050.

Let me know if you need any help.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor