Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

how do I get a w2 form from 2003

Customer Question
how do I get a w2 form from 2003
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
10/2/2009
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 8 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Hello dawn,

Did you file a tax return in 2003?

Do you need an actual copy of your W-2 form or can you get by with just the amount of your earnings and tax withheld that was shown on the form?

I did file and i used to have a w2 and can't find it as i need it for a job they are doing a back ground check and they want a copy of the w2 to show that I actual worked at tj max store.
Hello again dawn,

Unfortunately, if you need to have an actual copy of the W-2 form, the only place you can get that other than directly from TJM would be the IRS, and that takes around 60 days to process. You would have to mail them Form 4506 along with a fee of $57 and request a copy of your entire return for the 2003 tax year. You cannot just request copies of the W-2 forms only. But the return they send you would include copies of any W-2 forms you had for that year.

The only other thing you might try is this. Instead of getting an actual copy of your W-2 form or your tax return, you can request what is called a Tax Transcript from the IRS. Transcripts are free of charge. Transcripts can be ordered by filling out Form 4506-T and they generally take around 7 to 10 days to received. But you can also order a transcript by phone and in most cases they can fax you the transcript within 24 hours.

A tax transcript would not contain an actual copy of your W-2 form, but it would be a computerized printout that showed each employer that you worked for that year that issued you a W-2 form and the amount of wages you earned. You might want to explain the situation to your new employer and see if under the circumstances they would be willing to accept this transcript as proof of your employment with TJM.

If you do decide to order this transcript by phone, you would call(NNN) NNN-NNNN I know the hold times can be long sometimes, but this will be the quickest way for you to get the transcript because you can request that they fax it to you. Be sure to tell them that you need your W-2 information included in the transcript.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button.

Thank you dawn and let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help you with whatever I can.

Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant