How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bill Your Own Question
Bill, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3153
Experience:  EA, CEBS - 35 years experience providing financial advice
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Bill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am doing my mothers income tax. I have received a tabulation

Customer Question

I am doing my mother's income tax. I have received a tabulation of her income from the IRS. One section lists "Pensions & Annuities" ($15,952). Another section (1099-R) lists "Gross Distribution" ($14,411). What is "Gross Distribution", and how do I enter it on her tax forms?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Bill replied 7 years ago.

If you are completing Form 1040A then pension distributions are entered on line 12 or line 16 if you are completing Form 1040. A 1099-R is issued for a distribution from a pension, profit sharing, 401(k), annuity, or IRA. Gross distribution is the amount in box 1 of Form 1099-R but is not necessarily the taxable amount. The taxable amount may be indicated in box 2a. If the taxable amount is less than the gross amount, then the gross amount is listed on line 12(a) or 16(a) and the taxable amounts are listed on lines 12(b) or 16(b). If the entire gross amount is taxable then that amount can be entered on line 12(b) or line 16(b).


If the distribution is from an IRA then lines 11 or 15 are used.


Related Tax Questions