How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RD Your Own Question
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 8784
Experience:  CPA, MBA, Over 10 yrs of experience in tax planning and business consulting..
Type Your Tax Question Here...
RD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was just contacted by a previous employer that I I had a

Resolved Question:

I was just contacted by a previous employer that I I had a small amount of retirement set up that they are cancelling the policy on and I need to move it or cash out. It's only about $8K or $9K. I recently got married this year (filed separate this year but not next) bought a house and was thinking is it better to put this in a Roth IRA or maybe cash out to pay some debt or some home improvements to maybe eliminate the PMI we are paying on the house.

Is there just too much penalty to cash out even on a small amount or should would it help in this case?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  RD replied 7 years ago.
Presuming this retirement account is a regular retirement account and not roth, you can rollover the proceeds to an IRA without any tax implications.

YOu can withdraw the funds but you will owe tax on the amount you take out as distribution and also owe additional 10% early withdrawal penalty.
Tax on the amount will depend on your overall taxable income and tax bracket.

RD and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you