How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mark D Your Own Question
Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1304
Experience:  MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Mark D is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If you sell your primary residence you have lived in for 12

Resolved Question:

If you sell your primary residence you have lived in for 12 years, roll the proceeds into a new home and then have to sell it in the same year after living there only 10 months. Can you roll the proceeds, profits, from the sell of home two into a new home without being taxed on the profits.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark D replied 7 years ago.

You cannot do a 1031 exchange on a primary residence, it must be an investment property. When you sold the first home, you should have been eligible to exclude $250K ($500K if married) of any capital gains. The second property's basis would be the purchase price for which you bought it for, and any gain would have to be recognized. Please let me know if you have further questions.


Mark D
Mark D and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you