Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

We have a small business in Michigan, we owe personal property

Customer Question
taxes. The city is...
We have a small business in Michigan, we owe personal property taxes. The city is threatening to close us down and auction stuff off. Our bank (due to several loans we have) has a lien on everything we own. Can the city shut us down or can they just put a lien on the business?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
10/2/2009
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 8 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
HelloCustomer

Can you please tell me what city your business is located in.

Livonia, Michigan
HelloCustomer

The city cannot actually shut down your business, but they are authorized to seize and sell the personal property of a business if the PP taxes remain unpaid.

Once seized, the personal property of the business is tagged, or removed from
the property. All property seized then falls under the control of the City Treasurer.

If unpaid personal property taxes remain after six (6) days of seizure, the
Treasurer may sell the property in accordance with State Law.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank youCustomerbr />

They can do this even though the bank has liens on everything?

Hello againCustomer

The tax liens take precedence over any other liens on the property. The first lien holders would be notified and they would have the opportunity to purchase the assets for the amount of the oustanding tax bill. That is why with many property loans the lender requires you to include your tax payments as part of your note, because the lenders know that a tax lien would take precedence.

I also want to clarify a point that I made earlier, which is not entirely correct. The city can actually close your business for non payment of PP taxes. However, in most cases they would instead just seize the assets. But the business could be closed if the city decides this is a necessary step.

Here is a link to a page on the MI website where you can read more about the different actions that may be taken by the state to collect delinquent PP taxes.

http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache:Y1s0gX-45ScJ:www.michigan.gov/treasury/0,1607,7-121-1755-156496--,00.html+michigan+personal+property+tax+delinquent+seize&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

If this was helpful please press the Accept button.

Thank youCustomerbr />

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant