Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My grandmother passed away in March of this year. My Dad

Customer Question
My grandmother passed away in...
My grandmother passed away in March of this year.

My Dad has just learned she left him 299,000 dollars.

Its my understanding that now the thresh-hold for having to pay the IRS on estate tax is only for over 3.5 million. Is that correct?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
10/2/2009
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 8 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Hello jmerlino,

Your understanding is correct. For deaths occuring in the year 2009, no federal estate taxes are due on estates valued at $3.5 million or less. There are some states which impose a separate inheritance tax, but Texas and Nevada have no such tax.

As long as this money that was left to your father is part of a regular bank account, then your father will owe no taxes. If the money is part of an IRA account or a 401k account or any other type of tax deferred retirement plan account, then he would be liable for regular income tax as he withdraws the funds. But if the money is simply part of a regular checking or savings account or even held in regular stocks and bonds, then he will owe no tax, and he does not even need to report receipt of this inheritance on his returns.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you jmerlino

thanks so much
You are most welcome. Please let me know if you have more questions.

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant