How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a high school teacher who put $2000 into a flex plan at

Resolved Question:

I am a high school teacher who put $2000 into a flex plan at work, for the 2009 year. Unfortunately, I did not take any reimbursements from it. Can I right that off as a loss on my taxes for this year?

Thank you,
T.L. Rochester, NY
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
Hello skinner,

Money that you contribute to a flex plan is excluded from your taxable income. So because the money was never tax paid to begin with, you cannot later claim a deduction for the contributions, regardless of whether or not you actually used them. Whether you use the benefits or not, the contributions came from pre-tax dollars and therefore cannot be deducted on your return.

It is usually not beneficial for you to contribute to these plans unless you know ahead of time that you will have enough qualifying medical expenses throughout the year to take full advantage of using your contributions.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button.

Thank you skinner and I am sorry I could not give you better news

Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you