How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bill Your Own Question
Bill, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3153
Experience:  EA, CEBS - 35 years experience providing financial advice
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Bill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My friend who is 75 years old is selling her home. She has

Resolved Question:

My friend who is 75 years old is selling her home. She has lived in it for the last 47 years. The house has been paid for forsome time. Does she have to pay capital gains on the money she gets? She is giving some to the children, under the limit of $13,000. Does she have to pay taxes on that money or do you kids have to pay taxes?
Thank you for your help.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Bill replied 7 years ago.

As long as she has used the home as her main home for at least 2 years in the 5 years preceding the sale, then she can exclude from her income up to $250,000 (assuming her filing status is single) of the gain. If she then makes gifts to some of her children under the limit of $13,000 each, then she does not have to report the gifts to the IRS. The children will not have to report the gifts as income as gifts (regardless of the amount) are not considered taxable income to recipients.,,id=98921,00.html




Bill and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you