How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I plan on buying a house in Ireland ,getting a mortgage

Resolved Question:

I plan on buying a house in Ireland ,getting a mortgage and opening bank accounts there ,and am planning on re financing my house in the US to pay off the mortgage later on.If I take the cash out on refinance ,are there any restrictions on sending this money back to Ireland and what are the reporting requirements. Do I need to report the bank A/C s I plan to open in Ireland even though I will not derive any interest on them.I will only be paying interest on the mortgage back there.Can I simply send a cheque from my A/C in the US to pay off the mortgage once I refinance and what are the preporting requirements on the A/Cs in Ireland and do I need to report owning property in Ireland ?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
Hello england,

There are no restrictions on you actually sending the money to Ireland and you do not need to report those transactions. You also do not need to report the fact that you are purchasing property there or own property in Ireland.

If you plan to open a bank account in Ireland, then if at any time during the year the balance in that account reaches or exceeds $10,000, then you must report the existence of that account by filing form TDF-90-22.1 with the IRS. This is true even if the account earns no interest. The only other report you would need to file is if and when you ever sell the home in Ireland. At that time you would need to report any gain you might have from the sale.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you england and let me know if you have more questions.

Merlo and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you