Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Can a Husband & Wife managing members of an LLC be paid through

Customer Question
payroll?...
Can a Husband & Wife managing members of an LLC be paid through payroll?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
10/1/2009
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 8 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Hello rosa,

A multi member LLC is taxed as a partnership, and no payroll checks are issued. All of the income from the LLC simply flows through to the partners, and you report that income on your personal tax return at the end of the year.

If you were established as an S Corp or a C Corp, then you would issue regular paychecks to yourself and to your husband, and the corporation itself pays a share of your SS and Medicare taxes. But with a partnership, the partnership itself pays no taxes, so no payroll is issued to pay the partners. Each partner will report his share of the income on his tax return at the end of the year, and will be responsible for not only income taxes, but for the full share of SS and Medciare taxes that are due.

You can and should make estimated tax payments on a quarterly basis to cover what you think you might owe at the end of the year, but you would not pay in taxes through payroll deductions, as this only applies to corporations.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button.

Thank you rosa and let me know if you have more questions.

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant