How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29656
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Arizona Tax Law Regarding a 1031 Tax Deferred Exchange When

Customer Question

Arizona Tax Law: Regarding a 1031 Tax Deferred Exchange: When rental property is purchased via a 1031, is it acceptable for a group of 3 joint tenants to split the subsequent rental income in uneven increments? For example, may one joint tenant claim 100% of the income (and expenses) while the other two claim 0%? Or it is necessary for the three joint tenants to equally split the income/expenses in thirds?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

The fact that a rental property has been purchased via a 1031 - has no affect on reporting rental income.


If there are three joint tenants - those who actually receive rental income should claim it along with rental expenses.

If only one tenant receives rental income - he/she should be only one who claims it on the individual tax return.

If rental income is splitted between tenants - it should be claimed by each tenant.

In this case - tenants are acting as partners - and partnership tax return would be required - use the form 1065 -

Income for each partner (pro-rated according to the agreement between partners - not necessary in equal amounts) should be reported on the schedule K-1 -

Rental income should be reported in the box 2.


Let me know if you need any help.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is the information you provided specific to Arizona tax law? Or is this fed tax law?
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

Taxable income is determined by the federal law - Title 26 -

Arizona tax laws for income tax is based on the federal tax law with some adjustments -


As you see on Arizona tax return - line 12 - the amount is taking from Federal adjusted gross income (from your federal return) -

Additionals and subtractions based on Arizona specifics are reported on lined 13 and 15. There is no different treatment for partnership income reported on the schedule K-1.

So - in your situation - there is no difference between federal and Arizona income tax laws.


Arizona has different laws in some tax areas - for instance for property and sales taxes.

Let me know if you need any help.