Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I currently receive a CalPers industrial disability pension

Customer Question
due to being injured in...
I currently receive a CalPers industrial disability pension due to being injured in the line of duty. Is any portion of my IDR pension subject to Federal or State income tax?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
10/1/2009
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 8 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Disability or industrial disability retirement is available for members unable to continue working due to illness or injury.

If you receive a disability pension - it is your taxable income - and you should receive a form 1099-R from the payer reporting that income - http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1099r.pdf

It is taxable on the federal and on the state levels - but if you actually owe any taxes - depends on your total income, filing status, deductions, etc.

If you determine that you will owe taxes - you might want the payer to withhold federal and/or state income tax with each paycheck - here is the form to use - https://www.calpers.ca.gov/mss-publication/pdf/xqwsO2GSlf6ZA_taxwithhold.pdf

If you need any help to estimate your tax liability - let me know.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor