Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am a disabled retired NYPD officer. My disability retirement

Customer Question
I am a disabled retired...
I am a disabled retired NYPD officer. My disability retirement income is not taxable. For the past 5 years I have been receiving demands from the IRS to which I send a certified letter from the city of NYC stating that my pension is non taxable. However, they have stepped up their demands, now including penalties on income from 2007. How can I end this harasment?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
9/22/2009
Tax Professional: Bill, Enrolled Agent replied 8 years ago
Bill
Bill, Enrolled Agent

Within the IRS there is a service called the Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) which is an independent organization whose employees assist taxpayers who are seeking help in resolving problems with the IRS. You may want to contact them to review your situation. My experiences with the service have been excellent.

The IRS links below provide information and telephone numbers for the state of NY.

http://www.irs.gov/advocate/article/0,,id=212313,00.html

http://www.irs.gov/advocate/article/0,,id=147486,00.html

Bill
Bill, Enrolled Agent
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX contacting that office now.

Good luck.
Bill
Bill
Bill, Enrolled Agent