How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bill Your Own Question
Bill, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3153
Experience:  EA, CEBS - 35 years experience providing financial advice
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Bill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a disabled retired NYPD officer. My disability retirement

Customer Question

I am a disabled retired NYPD officer. My disability retirement income is not taxable. For the past 5 years I have been receiving demands from the IRS to which I send a certified letter from the city of NYC stating that my pension is non taxable. However, they have stepped up their demands, now including penalties on income from 2007. How can I end this harasment?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Bill replied 7 years ago.

Within the IRS there is a service called the Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) which is an independent organization whose employees assist taxpayers who are seeking help in resolving problems with the IRS. You may want to contact them to review your situation. My experiences with the service have been excellent.


The IRS links below provide information and telephone numbers for the state of NY.,,id=212313,00.html,,id=147486,00.html



Bill and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX contacting that office now.

Expert:  Bill replied 7 years ago.
Good luck.