Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Our unemployed daughter and our newborn grandson are living

Customer Question
with us this year. Can...
Our unemployed daughter and our newborn grandson are living with us this year. Can grandparents claim grandchildren as a dependent if the parents have no income and agree not to claim him for that year? We have supported both, but she is not a student so she can't be claimed. We also did not pay for our grandsons birth or medical bills (Medicade or Medicare have). If we claim him will they seek repayment from us?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
9/13/2009
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 8 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Hello grandparent,

You may claim your grandson as a dependent as long as all of the following rules can be met:

1. He lives with you for at least half of the year.
2. He did not provide more than half of his own support
3. He is under the age of 19 or under age 24 and a full time student
4. He is not the qualifying child of another taxpayer.

Your grandson obviously meets the age test. So as long as he lives with you for more than half of the year and will not be claimed by his mother, than you can claim him as a dependent on your return.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you grandparent.

What about repayment of medical bills?
Hello grandparent,

No, they will not seek reimbursement from you because of claiming the child as a dependent.

By claiming him as a dependent, you are not stating that you have supported the child. All you are claiming is that he lived with you for most of the year and that no one else qualifies to claim him. This will not affect the medicare/medicaid benefits the mother received. Those benefits are strictly based on her financial situation, and no on yours.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button.

Thank you grandparent.

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant