Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I received a lump sum severance pay from my employer, I was

Customer Question
laid off, will I receive...
I received a lump sum severance pay from my employer, I was laid off, will I receive some of this money back when I file my taxes?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
9/11/2009
Tax Professional: Bill, Enrolled Agent replied 8 years ago
Bill
Bill, Enrolled Agent

It will depend on your tax rate for the year based on your total income, filing status, deductions, and exemptions. Generally, a flat 25% is withdrawn for federal income taxes on supplemental pay such as a lump sum severance payment. So if 25% was withheld and your tax rate was only 15% then you would receive a refund of the difference.

The tax brackets are illustrated in the link below based on taxable income after deductions.

http://taxes.about.com/od/2009taxes/qt/2009_tax_rates.htm

Need more info. basic severance I received was $69041.00, also had vacation time which was $10073.80, my employer gave me enhanced 1 mo. severance which was equal to $6276.92, total was 85391.92 my yearly salary was $81594. I am filing head of household I am a widow, my husband passed in 1998. I have to dependent boys.. So my question is will I get some of this money back when I file.. ?

What has been the amount of federal taxes that have been withheld from your pay year to date? Has $166,985.92 ($85391.92 + $81,594) been paid to you year to date or is $81,594 what your salary would have been for the entire year? Do you have any other income such as investment income or unemployment compensation?

year to date fed withholding is 26881.79 fed only.. not incl. fed/me, fed/oas/ state. $81594.50 would have been my salary for the year if I worked til end of Dec. 09
year to date fed withholding is 26881.79 fed only.. not incl. fed/me, fed/oas/ state. $81594.50 would have been my salary for the year if I worked til end of Dec. 09 YTD earnings is 145.015. ytd fed taxable gross is 138,918.85
Based on gross federal income of $138,918 you should receive a refund of approximately $1,100 based on claiming the standard deduction and assuming you have no other income for the year.
Sorry, but you mean to tell me that they took over $30k from my severance and I will get back $1100. that does not sound right to me, maybe I'am asking the wrong question.. I cannot see how they can tax me $30k and I get back $1100. Claiming head of household with two dependents.. I think I did not ask the right question

If your gross income is $138,918 then after deductions your taxable income ($119,618) places you into the 28% marginal tax bracket and there may be a small amount of AMT. I plugged the numbers into 2008 tax software to verify. So your refund may be between $1,100 - $2,000.

The 2009 tax bracket is in the link below:

See the rates for Head of Household - http://taxes.about.com/od/2009taxes/qt/2009_tax_rates.htm

Bill
Bill, Enrolled Agent
Bill
Bill
Bill, Enrolled Agent