How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in michigan, I gave my home back to the bank. I was

Resolved Question:

I live in michigan, I gave my home back to the bank. I was told that I could be liable to pay taxes on the difference between what I owed and what they sell the property for. I was also told that there was a program to get that waived if it was my primary residnce which it was. Can you tell me where I would get a hold of that information?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Have you owned this home for at least 2 years and lived there for at least 2 of the last 5 years?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, we have owned the home since 2000 and lived in it until last month
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
Hello againCustomer

As long as this was your primary residence, which it was as long as you meet the ownership and residency rules, then if you go through a short sale or foreclosure in the years 2007 thru 2011, the IRS is allowing you to exclude the amount of the cancelled debt from your taxable income.

This is part of the Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act, and you can read more about this at the following link:,,id=179414,00.html

When you file your tax return next year, you will file Form 982 with your return to claim this exclusion.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank youCustomer

Merlo and 4 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you