Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I wasnt prepared to hire employees yet, but I am having to

Customer Question
I wasn't prepared to hire...
I wasn't prepared to hire employees yet, but I am having to hire someone. What taxes do I need to take out of their checks each pay day? I am a washington state independent LLC.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
9/3/2009
Tax Professional: Mark D, Enrolled Agent replied 8 years ago
Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent
Customer

For Federal taxes, you will need to withhold income tax (based off of their W4) and FICA from the employee's paycheck. You will also be subject to employer FICA and FUTA.

Washington has no state income tax, but you will be subject to state unemployment insurance and Industrial insurance (if applicable).

There can be complicated calculations and you do not want to get these wrong. I would suggest you either get payroll training or contract out your payroll service to a payroll processing company. Please let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,

Mark D

This does not answer my question. How much (percentage) of Social Security, Medicare; Federal; State; unemployment; and industrial insurance do I take out of each employee's check?

Customer

For payroll tax withholdings only: Social Security is 6.2% of first $106,800 wages of each employee. Medicare is 1.45% of all wages of each employee.

Income tax withheld will vary for each employee based off of their marital status and exemptions claims on their Form W4.

These are all the withholdings. FUTA and SUI are employer taxes and are not withheld from employees.

Regards,

Mark D

How much Futa and Sui should I reserve per employee?

FUTA is 0.8% of first $7K in wages per an employee. SUI is different for each company. You will want to check with the state to see what your company's SUI rate is.

Regards,

Mark D

Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent
Mark D
Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent