Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Is it possible if a child has an allergic reaction to dust

Customer Question
mites and such to use...
Is it possible if a child has an allergic reaction to dust mites and such to use to deduct the cost of installation of wood flooring and removing carpeting from the home when the allergist has given you recommendations and a prescription to order the carpeting removed and install wood floors instead?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
9/3/2009
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 8 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
HelloCustomer

The improvement made to your home must have been recommended by a physician as a means of helping or alleviating a medical condition.

You can include in medical expenses amounts you pay for special equipment installed in a home, or for improvements, if their main purpose is medical care for you, your spouse, or your dependent. The cost of permanent improvements that increase the value of your property may be partly included as a medical expense. The cost of the improvement is reduced by the increase in the value of your property. The difference is a medical expense. If the value of your property is not increased by the improvement, the entire cost is included as a medical expense.

As an example -- if the total cost to replace your flooring was $8,000 and in making this improvement, it increased the fair market value of your home by $3,000, then you could only deduct the difference of $5,000 as a medical expense.

Refer to the following IRS publication under the section titled Capital Expenses.

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p502/ar02.html#en_US_publink100014757

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank youCustomer

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant