How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it possible if a child has an allergic reaction to dust

Resolved Question:

Is it possible if a child has an allergic reaction to dust mites and such to use to deduct the cost of installation of wood flooring and removing carpeting from the home when the allergist has given you recommendations and a prescription to order the carpeting removed and install wood floors instead?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

The improvement made to your home must have been recommended by a physician as a means of helping or alleviating a medical condition.

You can include in medical expenses amounts you pay for special equipment installed in a home, or for improvements, if their main purpose is medical care for you, your spouse, or your dependent. The cost of permanent improvements that increase the value of your property may be partly included as a medical expense. The cost of the improvement is reduced by the increase in the value of your property. The difference is a medical expense. If the value of your property is not increased by the improvement, the entire cost is included as a medical expense.

As an example -- if the total cost to replace your flooring was $8,000 and in making this improvement, it increased the fair market value of your home by $3,000, then you could only deduct the difference of $5,000 as a medical expense.

Refer to the following IRS publication under the section titled Capital Expenses.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank youCustomer

Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you