How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My boyfriends ex-girlfriend had handled his taxes for years

Customer Question

My boyfriend's ex-girlfriend had handled his taxes for years and said that they were done. He does not have much information for 2005 to 2007. No taxes were filed. He signed papers and thought that that was that. He now has the IRS on his back for back taxes and failure to file for 2005 to 2007. We contacted what he thought was his accountant, but she has refused to due his taxes from 2005 to present. I have rebuilt his information, but don't know how to proceed with submitting his back forms.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.

If you have all of the information you need as far as his earnings and allowed deductions, it is simply a matter of filling out the tax forms for each year.

Tax forms for the years 2005 through 2007 along with the instructions can still be accessed through the IRS website at

When you go to their website simply type the year you are looking for in the search box and it will then bring up a link to the various forms and instructions for that year which you can then download and print.

You would want to download Form 1040 for each year and instructions if you need them.

Once the forms are completed, simply mail them to the IRS with any payment that is due. If there are additional amounts due because of interest or penalties, the IRS will notify you in writing of the additional amount owed.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.

Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Will this also work for being self employeed?


Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.
Hello again pada,

Yes, it will. But if he was self employed then in addition to Form 1040, you will also need to download Schedule C and Schedule SE. Both of those schedules will be needed to report self employment earnaings.

Those schedules are also available on the IRS website along with the instructions if you need them.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your answers!


Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.
You are welcome