How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mark D Your Own Question
Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1304
Experience:  MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Mark D is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If my parents gift me a property valued at approximately $800,000.00,

Resolved Question:

If my parents gift me a property valued at approximately $800,000.00, less the
$24,000.00 for gifting, at what tax rate would be be billed taking no other income
situation into consideration.

Gift Tax rate - for them

Capital gains tax rate - for me

Thanking you in advance for your assistance in this matter.

Sandra Becker [email protected]
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark D replied 7 years ago.



For 2009, the maximum gift without a reporting requirement is $13K, so if they elect to split the gift, $26K can actually be tax-free. If you parents have not used up their $1 million lifetime gift exclusion, they can claim the exclusion on Form 709 (Gift tax return) and not pay any gift tax at all. If they do not have exclusion available, the top gift tax rate for 2009 is 45%. Either way, you would not be subject to any capital gains or income tax from the gift. Your basis in the home would be the FMV of the gift when given. Please let me know if you have further questions.




Mark D

Mark D and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you