How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I claimed my elderly mother on my 2007 taxes. That tax year,

This answer was rated:

I claimed my elderly mother on my 2007 taxes. That tax year, she had some health issues and lived with me for 7 months. What were the guidelines in 2007?

The guidelines for claiming your mother back in 2007 were really no different than they are currently, except for the amount of money she would have been allowed to earn. It is not even a requirement that your mother must have lived with you at all, but there are certain other rules which must be met.

In order to claim a dependent as your Qualifying Relative, the following rules must be met:

1. You must provide more than half of your relative's total support.

2. He or she cannot be married filing a joint return with their spouse.

3. He or she cannot have income of their own which exceeds the personal exemption amount. Back in 2007 that amount would have been $3,400. For purposes of this calculation, income from Social Security is not included.

4. The relative must be a US citizen or resident of the US, Canada or Mexico.

So in 2007 you could have claimed your mother as a dependent, as long as all 4 of the above rules could have been met.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank youCustomer and let me know if you have more questions.

Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

does that mean that her 13,004 disability income for that year is within the personal exemption amount of $3,400

Hello againCustomer

Does this disability income come from Social Security or from her former employment?

Or does she receive both SS and another disability payment?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Disability income comes from her former federal employment. (used to be a clerk with IRS until disabled in 1979. No social security
Hello againCustomer

I would assume the money your mother receives from her federal employment is taxable income. Does she file a tax return of her own each year to report this income?

Why is your mother not eligibiel for SS?