Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I live in MA but will be working in CT. What income taxes will

be taken out of my...
I live in MA but will be working in CT. What income taxes will be taken out of my pay?
9/3/2009
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Hello grntday,

Your employer should withhold only CT state taxes from your pay.

At the end of the year, you will file a non resident tax return with CT and report the income you earned there and pay any tax due.

You will also file a resident return with MA and report the same income to MA, but MA will allow you a credit for the tax you already paid to CT. This will reduce or eliminate any double taxation on that same income at the state level.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you grntday.

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
I definitely appreciate the information you have given me.

Do you have any links to websites that show this information? It would greatly help me.

Thank you!
Hello again grntday,

The information would not be contained in any one publication. This is the same rule that is followed in each of the 50 states.

If you look at the instructions for the non resident CT tax return, it will tell you in those instructions that income you earn from a CT source is taxable in that state.

Here is a link to the CT non resident information booklet. Refer to page 5 under Who Must File.

http://www.ct.gov/drs/lib/drs/forms/2008forms/incometax/ct-1040nrpybooklet.pdf

Here is another link to a section of the MA website where it tells you that you are allowed a credit for income taxes paid to other states.

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=dorterminal &L=6&L0=Home&L1=Individuals+and+Families&L2=Personal+Income+Tax&L3=Current+Year+Tax+Information&L4=Guide+to+Personal+Income+Tax&L5=Credits&sid=Ador&b=terminalcontent&f=dor_help_guides_abate_amend_personal_issues_OJ_credit&csid=Ador

Thank you again grntday.

thanks merlo! very helpful
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant