How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Thank you in advance for answering my question. I am planning

Resolved Question:

Thank you in advance for answering my question. I am planning to purchase a home before December the first and need to ask how this will play out, Federal tax credit.

Does this have a number or name to differentiate it between, from the similar credit offered earlier that is to pay back, and functions as an interest free loan.

Does the sale have to be in the works by December the first or completed, key in hand, by December the first?

My salary is gross 54,000.00 and I am single, and have the self deduction only. I generally get about 344.00 to 475.00 back where I have over paid, witholding.

I will qualify as a firtst time buyer and the house is 100,000.00. While I will not live in the house immediately upon buying I will be moving into the house asap, and within a year. I have no other income. I will pay 10% down leaving 90,000.00 that I will borrow.

Will I get a check for $8,000.00 if I owe nothing to the government.

What defines permanet residence?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
Hello myjewel,

1. There is no name or number which identifies the 2008 credit differently than the 2009 credit. The amount of the credit will be determined by the purchase date you report. Since you will be purchasing your home in 2009, you will receive the $8,000 which does not need to be repaid, in contrast to the 2008 credit which was just an interest free loan for $7,500. The credit will be claimed by completing Form 5405. You will see when you complete that form that there are instructions for both 2008 and 2009 purchases, and you will use the instructions that apply to your 2009 purchase.

2. The sale must be completed no later than 11/30/09. You cannot simply have a contract on a home.

3. Your salary is under $75,000, so as a single person you qualify for the full credit of $8,000.

4. Even if you owe nothing to the government, you will still get a check back for the full $8,000 plus any other normal refund that you are due.

5. "Permanent" residence is not a term used for this credit. Rather they refer to "principal" residence. Your principal residence is a home you have owned for at least 2 years and that you have lived in for at least 2 of the previous 5 years. If you have owned a home that would fall under that definition of principal residence in the last 3 years, then you would not qualify to claim this credit.

6. In order to keep the $8,000 credit and not be forced to repay it to the IRS, you are required to keep ownership of the home for a minimum of 36 months and you must use the home as your principal residence. You cannot use it as a vacation home or rental property. If you sell the home prior to owning it for 36 months or if you quit using it as your primary residence during that time, then you would have to repay the full $8,000.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you myjewel.

Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
good answers. impressed with you quick and adroit information, clearly expressed, thanks.
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX me know if you have more questions.