How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been receiving payment from a sign manufacturer located

Resolved Question:

I have been receiving payment from a sign manufacturer located in Wichita, Ks for the installation of their signs in hotels and other public buildings. All of this work has been outside the state of New Mexico. As an independent contractor, do I owe New Mexico gross receipts tax?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
Hello djackson,

You would not owe NM gross receipts tax on services that you are being paid to perform, even if those services were performed inside the state.

NM gross receipts tax only applies to businesses that sell or lease goods, similar to a sales tax. It does not apply to income that you receive as an independent contractor.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button.

Thank you djackson, and let me know if you have more questions.

Merlo and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you