Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Hi I just discovered that there was a lien filed against me

Customer Question
for a former business I...
Hi I just discovered that there was a lien filed against me for a former business I conducted. Themlien is dated 1996 from Los angeles County. Is there a statute of limitations for this LA county tax, it says there is 1 1/2 tax for each mount in default, is this on a compounded interest computation? What should I do?

Ricardo
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
9/2/2009
Tax Professional: bizmatters, Attorney replied 8 years ago
bizmatters
bizmatters, Attorney
<p>Daer Ricardo,</p><p> </p><p>They can attach the other property if they happened to get a tax judgment in absentia. You may have had a service for a court case, in which you missed the service, and because you would not have shown, would have gotten a judgment against you. (in default).   </p><p> </p><p>There is a 10 year statute of limitations for business taxes in California. However the way it work is that they are not allowed to pursue the tax, but the lien and any entries on the credit report will remain until the tax is paid. </p><p> </p><p>If they have a judgment against you, then the statute of limitations (on judgments) is 10 years, renewable for a second 10 years.</p><p> </p><p> Note about statutes of limiations for taxes in general: the statutes of limitation do not apply if the return was not filed, or for acts of ommission or fraud.</p>
bizmatters
bizmatters, Attorney
bizmatters
bizmatters
bizmatters, Attorney