How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Creating a small pet grooming business off our home (attached

Resolved Question:

Creating a small pet grooming business off our home (attached garage being converted, construction underway now) in Upstate New York (Chenango County).

It will only be myself doing most of the grooming and possibly my husband as occassional groomer/helper. Our objective is to keep this business just he and I no employees.

We have chosed to go with S-Corporation formation. To prevent having to pay all the taxes for having employees, is it best to list the S-Corporation as 100% in my name only or 51% myself, and 49% in my husband's name. (Husband/Wife are one shareholder, right?)
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
Hello kitty,

When you say "to prevent having to pay taxes for having employees", exactly which taxes are you referring to?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm sorry...........

For the way the IRS and State look at our company, will my husband and I be considered employees of the company being we are the only share-holders?? company having to pay out unemployment taxes, workers comp for us?

We have paid for everything out of our personal savings $34,000 ourselves to setup the business. We are going now to setup a business bank account to start paying anything further for the business only with the business account. How do we go about recouping our personal investment?
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
Hello again kitty,

As far as unemployment insurance, that is something you will be required to pay even though there are actually no other employees other than yourself and your husband. In the state of NY, paying for workers compensation insurance for the owner of a company is optional. You do not have to pay for this coverage for your and/or your husband, but if something were to happen to either of you while working, you would have to rely on your own health insurance coverage.

Regarding the start up costs that you incurred to set up the business, in the first year that you actively open your doors for business, you may deduct up to $5,000 in start up costs. The remaining costs are then amortized over a period of 15 years. If you would sell your business or otherwise dispose of the business prior to the end of the 15 year period, then any remaining costs which you had not yet deducted would be deducted in your final year of operation.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you kitty.

Merlo and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you