How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We terminated an employee Aug 31 2009. They would like to

Resolved Question:

We terminated an employee Aug 31 2009. They would like to deferred their severance until 2010. Can we do this and what are the tax implecations - should we 1099 him?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.
Hello AndySue,

The only regulation that the IRS has concerning severance pay is that it is taxable to the employee in the year that it is received. There is no restriction as to which year the severance must be paid.

So you can defer the severance pay until 2010, and you would then report that severance pay in 2010 by issuing a W-2 form. A 1099 form is only used for independent contractors, and this employee's classification as a worker would not change simply due to the fact that he was receiving severance pay. The company would still withhold all the regular federal and state income taxes as well as SS and Medicare taxes from this pay.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you Andy.

Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you