Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
9573734

My husband and I recently started selling a product online.

My husband and I recently started selling a product online. The product was invented by my husbands best friend so he fronts us the equipment, we sell it, then we give him 90% and keep our 10%. It occured to us today that we could get taxed for the full 100% since it may look like all our profit. How do I work this out that we only pay taxes on the income we make?
Thanks,
Ashley
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer

Basically you will have to report this income at the end of the year as income from self employment on Schedule C. In January of 2010, you should issue a 1099-MISC form to your friend to report the amount of money that you paid to him. That form will be sent to your friend and copies will also be sent to the IRS. On Schedule C you will then show the entire amount you were paid, but will deduct the money you paid out as reported on the 1099-MISC form.

The 1099-MISC form acts much the same as a W-2 form in reporting income that was paid to someone, so by issuing this form it allows you to deduct the money from your income, and your friend will then have to declare this as income on his own return.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank youCustomer

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
so I send him a 1099 so that he can claim his 90% and we only pay taxed on the 10% that we profitted?
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
Hello againCustomer

Yes, you will send him a 1099 form to report the amount of money that you paid to him.

You will still need to report the full amount that you received on Schedule C of your tax return, but then you will deduct the amount you paid to your friend, and you will only end up owing tax on the net amount that you actually kept for yourself.

On Schedule C, line 1, you will report the total amount you received. And then on line 10 which is for commissions and fees, you will deduct the amount paid to your friend, and you will end up owing tax only on the net amount of 10% that you kept for yourself.

Thank youCustomer