How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mark D Your Own Question
Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1304
Experience:  MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Mark D is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We purchased a home in November 2008 and applied/received the

Resolved Question:

We purchased a home in November 2008 and applied/received the $7500 Tax Credit/No Interest loan from the IRS in our 2008 taxes. Since we purchased so close to 2009, is there any way to switch over to the $8000 Tax credit with no penalties that is available now?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark D replied 7 years ago.


Unfortunately, the determination for which First Time Homebuyer Credit a taxpayer qualifies for is based off of the closing escrow date. There is no way to change this to reflect the better credit. Please let me know if you have further questions.




Mark D

Mark D and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you