Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

IN THE U.S., IF I RECEIVE MONEY TO GIVE AN OPTION FOR SOMEONE

Customer Question
TO BUY MY REAL ESTATE...
IN THE U.S., IF I RECEIVE MONEY TO GIVE AN OPTION FOR SOMEONE TO BUY MY REAL ESTATE, AND THEY PAY ME RENEWALS FOR SEVERAL YEARS AND THEN WALK AWAY FROM THE DEAL, HOW AND WHEN ARE THE PAYMENTS I RECEIVED TAXABLE AND ARE THEY CAPITAL GAINS OR ORDINARY?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
9/1/2009
Tax Professional: Mark D, Enrolled Agent replied 8 years ago
Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent
Customer

Internal Revenue Code 1234 states that options (such as yours) as taxable as ordinary income when either the option expires or it is abandoned, so yours would become taxable in the year of abandonment. You would report this income on line 21 of Form 1040. Please let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,

Mark D

Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent
Mark D
Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent