Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

We use a payroll service. Can bonuses be added to standard

Customer Question
We use a payroll service...
We use a payroll service. Can bonuses be added to standard salary in a pay period, versus paid separately under the "bonus" column?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
9/1/2009
Tax Professional: Mark D, Enrolled Agent replied 8 years ago
Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent
Customer

Bonuses must be stated separately due to different withholding requirements on bonuses and regular pay. Please let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,

Mark D

Did you see my follow-up?
Customer

This should be classified as a bonus and stated separately. The only difference will be the income tax withholding rate. The will be no employer tax difference.

Regards,

Mark D

To say this plainly, what my employer needs to know in order to do this correctly, is, is it against the law to do it any other way?

Customer

My apologies as I misread and was thinking this was hourly reporting. Bonuses for salaried employees can either be simply combined with the regular earnings as one lump sum or reported separately. Bonuses stated separately should generally have a 25% income tax withholding rate. If only one lump figure is used, withhold federal income tax as if the total were a single payment for a regular payroll period. Sorry for the confusion and please let me know if this did not answer your question.

Regards,

Mark D

Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent
Mark D
Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent