How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

stock options granted in 2002-2003 were exercised in 2008.

Resolved Question:

stock options granted in 2002-2003 were exercised in 2008. gain was reported on w-2 for 2008. I am retired and receiving Social Security. Just got a letter from SS that they overpaid me during 2008 because of the way the options were reported. We file joint and this also effects wife benefit. They claim overpayment of $ 2,638 for me and $ 741 for wife. Reported gain was $ 20,321. Our SS benefits for 2008 were $ 28,080. We had other income in the form of IRA distributions. Because options were granted in 2002-2003 do I have to claim all of the gain for 2008?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

The gain must be reported in the actual year that the stock options were exercised. There are no choices to spread the gain out over more than one tax year, and it is not dependent on the year or years when the stock options were granted.

Just for your future reference, IRA distributions would have no affect on the SS benefits you receive, but the exercise of stock options would potentially affect the benefits you receive.

Thank youCustomer and let me know if you have more questions.

Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you